Thursday 25 September 2008

The first day

I set out from Le Puy around 7:45 on Wednesday morning, excited and a little nervous about what lay ahead. My main concerns were 1) being lonely/alone and 2) not being able to find the way. After ten minutes I came across my first clear marking - two stripes, one red, one white - and from then on it was easy to follow them without needing to consult my guide book. About half an hour into the day, I was joined by a young French guy named Emmeric who lives in London. We walked along together, chatting until Jean-Luis from Canada caught us up and the three of us headed along some beautiful forest paths together. So much for those worries! The country is more beautiful than I can describe - ever-changing and all picture-perfect French. Sometimes I swear I've walked into a postcard. I walked 28kms yesterday and finally arrived at Monistrol D'Allier, tired but happy. I visited churches built high on tiny mountain peaks, picked a few blackberries from the hedges, came across two ladies doing tai chi in the forest - it's never dull on the road! I walk alone most of the time but everyone is friendly and welcoming and there's a natural bond between other pilgrims, regardless of language. no-one asks why I want to walk this far - they all understand. This is a beautiful way of life.