Tuesday 23 September 2008

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

I pushed open the red velvet-lined door of the cathedral and stepped inside, trying not to look too out of place with my huge backpack. There's something about churches - it never matters if you're a believer or not, but being in the darkened space quiets the soul. The nun in the sacristy gave me my pilgrim's passport with a blessing from the bishop of Le puy and I signed the registration book - I am now officially a pilgrim on the road to Santiago de Compostella. There are signs of the history of the Camino everywhere and I feel part of something greater. Tomorrow I set off on the first day, but really I've been walking to Santiago since I first conceived of the idea three and a half years ago. That's one long journey, my friends. Anyway, Le Puy is more beautiful than I can describe and it's also a good deal colder than I imagined! But life is good, the road awaits and I am just so happy to be here.