Saturday 4 October 2008

Signs

I've been thinking a lot about signs lately. I spend most of my day looking for small signs and waymars to point me in the right direction. there are the ones that tell me to turn right or left, ones telling me to kep going straight and also ones to tell me it's the wrong way.

The other day, leaving Le Sauvages through a misty forest, I was getting frustrated at the lack of 'Go straight' signs. They're wonderfully comforting because we all like to know that we're on the right road. but this morning there were so few- I'd walk for ages without seing a single one and I was geting stressed. Ten I realised someting. True, there weren't always markers when I wanted them, but whenever there was another road there was a 'wrong way' sign on a tree. And at other times there weren't any other roads so if I'd followed the last marker why did I need another one?

We spend a lot of time in life searching for signs - telling us 'yes, this way', or 'no, not this way' and we often ask fr a sign that we've made the right choice, that things wil work out if we go this way. But I don't think that's what signs are for. They're not for reassurance, or to guarantee us a good outcome. They're just there to point the way. If we've followed the last sign properly, and heeded the 'wrong way' signs, and there's no other way, then all we have to do is keep going and trust that we've been directed well.

When I was in the forest I decided t ojust trust the signs and do my job, which was to walk. I found that when I surrendered the need to be reassured, the signs were there when they were needed, and I wasn't led astray. If we're on a path in life, maybe we need to practice endurance and just keep walking, instead of stopping amongst the trees for fear.