Saturday 4 October 2008

Things I've learned

1. 1600kms is a REALLY long way. Glad I didn't realise how long before I started or I might have chickened out.
2. Stuff is heavy. Carry less stuff. Leave it out, let it go, it's not worth the pain and suffering it causes to hold on to it.
3. The difference between want and need. I need my toothbrush but I want my shampoo. It's heavy, but clean hair makes me happy. But if it came down to it, I could throw it away without much regret.
4. People are fantastic. From the other pilgrims (who never fail to impress me with their generosity and humour) to the farmers in the field who stop to talk, it's a pleasure to meet so many people from so many places and share a little of their day.
5. Some things can't be put into words. There are many things I've learned, but some just can't be said. So there you are!